Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Patriotism

Here we go again.
Just because someone does not support the war, does not mean that they are not patriotic. And just because someone does not support the war does not mean that they can't support the troops.
I say thank you when I see a Marine, or anyone in the armed services.
I've sent thank you notes, and donated to care packages, and have put up support the troops websites on my Myspace page.

Who is the arbitrator of who's more patritic than somebody else?
It's not a pissing contest.
It's sort of like rabid, Red Sox fans screaming at concerts or wherever, how the "Yankees suck!" Ok, so you're a Red Sox fan. Go Sox. Fine. Now shut the fuck up!

I'm Roman Catholic. VERY Roman Catholic actually.
But I am extremely critical of the Catholic Church, the Pope, etc. But I absolutely love the faith and the Church. Why? Because I know it's potential, and the good it has, and continuously does. I actually know the meaning of the rituals, and how they came about. I know why the laws are the way they are. Do I agree with all of them? No. I'm not a mindless robot. Just like being a registered Republican, doesn't mean I have to agree with 100% of what the platform is, or follow Rush Limbaugh like a psychotic idiot.

I criticize the Church because I love the Church. I criticize the war and my country because I love my country. I would die for my country, given the right reason and cause. To criticize does not mean to hate. To be liberal does not mean to hate country. To be Republican or conservative does not mean that you shit diamonds, and that you are so righteous that God needs permission from you to make a fucking decision.

Patriotism? I don't have to have the biggest flag, or the most Red White and Blue, or the most and biggest "Support the Troops" signs and stickers. Screaming and preaching about being the most Christian, or being a "true conservative" doesn't make anyone better than the next person. I like the person who just does and lives, and gives of Self for their country, and does service for others, and are thankful for living in this country, and not screaming about it, and have the courage to disagree and criticize. To me, those are the true 'patriots.'

No comments: