Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Calling & a Reflection

This morning I felt the Spirit,
and was overcome with emotion.

Seemingly, for no apparent reason,
then again, there's always a reason,
that I was called in quiet solitude,
to reflect and pray, and listen.

The days are longer now,
and my daily routines become everyday now,
motions that seem to have little to no meaning,
seems to have some meaning to someone somehow.

I've so often lately, actually for some years now,
taken my Self for granted.
I come alive here and there,
and reflect, and live and just be,
but always seem to take my Self,
and everyday for granted.
Of course I'm grateful, always grateful,
for having, when others do not.

But it's time now.
Sometimes when I listen,
He speaks to me,
in the most unassuming, unordinary,
and unexpecting ways.
An old colleague
saw me at the gas station,
and thanked me for helping her friend.
I'm only a therapist, and nothing more than that.
I don't expect thank yous. I don't expect much from what I do.
But today,
for some reason,
He's been calling.
He's been calling for some time,
and I've been to stubborn,
too scared,
too ornery to listen.

Years ago,
I ceremoniously knelt,
and then laid on my stomach,
arms spread,
in the accompaniment of a few,
as I was robed
and hooded,
and made an oath,
in the place
of my spiritual birth,
to Something Other:
to love,
to serve,
and to serve unconditionally,
to the Greater Glory...

But now is the time.
As I re-learn to appreciate,
the deeper meaning
of His calling,
expecting nothing,
giving of Self,
and rededicating
my oath,
of service,
in love,
to the Greater Glory...
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam!

Shabazz Wilson

No comments: