Tuesday, May 6, 2008

City to Country Life

I am intrigued by the city.
It's lights,
it's sounds,
it's furies.
It can be unforgiving,
and delightful,
surprising
and so familiar.

I've lived
in the city
for much of my life,
and have spurned
the city,
and yurned
for a more simple life.

But I grow
more attracted
to country life,
and the simple
and not so simple
pleasure it provides.
Travel is not always
so convenient,
and life moves slowly
in the country.

But my soul is there.
I've lived a great part
of my life
in the country,
and embraced,
and embibed
in its capriciousness.
Farms and ranches,
manure
and swim holes,
bonfires and barn bashes.
A different life,
Different lives are there.
I've loved and laughed
and learned to be a man
in the country.

I've tired of the city,
its ghettos,
its pervasive visciousness.
It's time to go back,
to live,
and live,
in the country.

1 comment:

miles ross said...

i like how one sided this poem is.